Roads Banner Image

Road Application Forms

Road Application Forms

Applications forms are required for a variety of road functions, which are available below:-

Road Opening Licence

A Road Opening Licence is required for any works to be carried out in a public area e.g. footpath, grass, open space, parks etc. Applications for Road Opening Licenses can be applied through the MRL website

Temporary Road Closure

Temporary Road Closures are required to facilitate road works, road races, festivals etc.  Completed application forms must be submitted 5 weeks prior to the road closure.  Advertisement costs must be covered by the applicant.

Temporary Road Closure Application.pdf (size 423.6 KB)

Hoarding/Scaffolding Licences

A Hoarding Licence/Scaffolding Licence is required to facilitate building works and to ensure safety for the public.  Completed application forms must be submitted 3 weeks prior to works commencing.

S254-Hoarding.Scaffolding-Licence-Application-Form-24.docx (size 61.1 KB)

Way-Finding Signs/Street Furniture Licence

A licence is required to authorise the use of advertisement signs/structures or tables on public roads, (aka Directional Signs). Completed application forms must be submitted for assessment. 

Way-Finding Sign Application.docx (size 61.4 KB)

Way-Finding Signs on Public Roads - Policy.pdf (size 433.5 KB)

S254-Street-Furniture-Licence-Application-Form-Copy.docx (size 66.2 KB)

Abnormal Loads Permit

A Special Permit is required by any haulage vehicles which are considered to be either Wide, Long or Heavy and travelling on the roads in South Dublin County Council administrative area.  Completed application forms must be submitted 7 day prior to commencement of the journey.

NOTE Separate permits are required from Dublin City Council, Fingal County Council, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, Wicklow County Council and Kildare County Council when travelling within their administrative area.

Abnormal Load Permit Application - SP22.docx (size 62.1 KB)

Traffic Calming

A request for Traffic Calming Measures can be made by submitting an application form to This application will be examined and may be approved for suitable traffic calming measures. 

current-traffic-calming-applicaiton-form-Copy.doc (size 156.2 KB)

Roads and Services Taken in Charge Certificates

South Dublin County Council’s fee for the TIC/Change of Address letters is €88.00.

Requests can be posted to:

Roads Maintenance Section,
South Dublin County Council,
County Hall Tallaght,
Dublin 24, D24 A3XC


Map with the property clearly marked must be also enclosed.