Storm Barra Orange Warning
Dublin's weather warning status has been escalated to an Orange Weather Warning. Please stay safe, secure loose items in gardens and premises, do not make unnecessary journeys, secure hoardings and outside furniture, stay away from coastal areas and report any fallen trees or flooding on 01 4149000. The Orange Weather Warning from Met Éireann has been issued from 8am to 1pm tomorrow 7th December 2021. See http://met.ie for further storm information
Dublin is set to hit the height of the storm from 6am to 1pm on Tuesday 7th December. For further updates on Storm Barra please follow us on social media.
- South Dublin County Council’s Severe Weather Assessment Team (SWAT) met this morning (Monday) to review preparations for the anticipated high winds and rain of Storm Barra. The SWAT meeting brings together key staff from across the Council to co-ordinate works that need to be done before, during and after the storm event. Representatives from Roads, Public Realm, Drainage, Community, Housing and the Communication Section attend the SWAT meeting.
- Works are ongoing in preparing the county for Storm Barra.
- South Dublin County Council’s Civic Amenity Recycling Centre at Ballymount will be closed for the day due to the continuing high winds and potential hazard.
- Only essential travel is advised on Tuesday.
- Operational crews will be on alert for any issues arising during the storm and will be active in the clean-up operations following the event.
- High wind rain will lead to fallen debris and possible flooding conditions. Trash screens on the rivers and streams particularly at culverts will be checked and cleared of any debris. Road gullies will be checked for blockages and cleared, leaves are of concern at this time of year and are being removed. Construction sites will be secured and all loose material will be tied down in preparation for the high winds.
The public are warned electricity wires are always live, never approach. If you see fallen or damaged wires, keep clear and phone ESB Networks immediately on 1800 372 999/021 238 2410.
Please ensure that any mobile items in their properties be tied down for the duration of the storm, particularly items such as wheelie bins need to be secured for the duration of the storm.
Due to high winds, there is potential for power outages and people can take steps to be prepared for this. We would also like to ask people to check in on vulnerable neighbours today ahead of the storm hitting.
You can also follow the below Twitter accounts to stay updated.