News
"A Split Second is all it takes – To Change Someone’s Life Forever”
South Dublin County Council (SDCC) is happy to support our colleagues in An Garda Síochána (AGS) and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) on National Day of Action for Mobile Phone Distraction, which takes place, Wednesday 20th May 2026. This campaign is being organised as part of National Life Saver Week and focuses on that ‘Split Second’ when you can change your own or someone else’s life, forever.
In a Driver Analysis Survey carried out by the RSA in 2025, showed 48% of drivers used a handheld device in their hand while driving with another 52% held it to their ear.
To promote safer behaviour the campaign places emphasis on the following:
Using your Mobile Phone when Driving you are:
- 4 TIMES more likely to have a collision
- Hands are Off the Wheel
- Mind is Off the Road
- Eyes are Off the Road
The LAW:
- 3 Penalty Point & 60 €uro cash fine
Mayor of South Dublin Cllr Pamela Kearns said ‘‘I am delighted to be supporting this very important Road Safety campaign along with our colleagues in An Garda Siochana and the Road Safety Authority for “National Day of Action – Mobile Phone Distraction”. Every time you get behind the wheel and choose to use your phone, you are putting both your life and the life of other Road Users at risk, as you are cognitively distracted from the road ahead, so please choose safety first and don’t use your phone when driving”.
Road Safety Officer at South Dublin County Council Orlaith Maguire said ““Momentary Blindness is real” In that “split second” when you choose to look at your mobile phone when driving, the road ahead can change. Your reactions will be too slow to adapt to the changing situation, leading to life changing implications for both you and other road users. So far this year 58 people have lost their lives on Irish roads, so please on this National Day of Action make the right decision, collectively lets’ make using your mobile phone whilst driving a “socially unacceptable behaviour””.
Inspector Michael Houlihan, Garda National Roads Policing Bureausaid“An Garda Siochana launched this National Day of Action on Mobile Phone Distraction to highlight the dangers of distracted driving. In 2025 188 people tragically lost their lives on Irish Roads, that was 188 empty seats at the table. I am appealing to all road users to stop and think about road safety and their driving behaviours and asking all drivers to set a good example, by consciously not using their mobile phones while driving. There will be active check points on our roads today”.
A Split Second is all it takes ……
Next Item
