South Dublin County Council

RAS for Landlords

Information for Landlords
The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) was introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of Rent Supplement, normally for more than 18 months, and who have a long-term housing need.

What are the Main Features of the Scheme?
Local authorities will enter into contractual arrangements with property owners/landlords to secure the medium to long-term availability of private rented accommodation for RAS.

While different contract types may be entered into [see below] they will have in common the following main features:

  • the local authority will pay the full rent to the landlord on behalf of the tenant;
  • the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, will govern the tenancy between the landlord and the tenant;
  • the landlord must be tax compliant;
  • the landlord must provide a Building Energy Rating (BER) Certificate
  • the property must meet the minimum standards for private rental accommodation as determined by the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 (as amended) and also meet additional requirements for RAS;
  • The landlord must register the tenancy with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).
  • Payments in respect of the Non Principal Private Residence (NPPR) Charge must be up to date
  • Payments in respect of the Household Charge must be up to date

How does RAS work?

  • RAS involves a three-way relationship between:
  • The local authority and the landlord;
  • The landlord and the tenant;
  • The tenant and the local authority.

South Dublin County Council will seek to enter into a contractual arrangement with the landlord to make housing available to RAS for an agreed term. The terms of this contract will be negotiated between the two parties. South Dublin County Council will guarantee the rent on behalf of the tenant and will undertake to make the full payment directly to the landlord.

In most cases there is a tenant in the property who currently receives Rent Supplement and is eligible for RAS. In other cases South Dublin County Council’s Housing Department will nominate a RAS eligible applicant for the accommodation. The applicant will sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement with the landlord. South Dublin County Council’s Housing Department will also be party to this Agreement as guarantor of the rent.

Back to Top

What contractual arrangements will exist between the Landlord/Agent and the local authority?
There are two standard template contracts for RAS used by South Dublin County Council.

(A) Availability Arrangements. In South Dublin County Council this is generally a 10 year agreement between landlords and South Dublin County Council. Generally this agreement is only entered into in areas where there is a high demand for RAS property and where the property is of a very high standard. If a tenant leaves during the 10 year period South Dublin County Council will make every effort to source a new tenant for the remainder of the term of the contract.

(B) Tenancy by Tenancy Arrangements. This is the more widely used contract in South Dublin County Council. It is used where the landlord is happy with the existing tenant and where the landlord wants control over who will reside in the property. When the tenant leaves the contract ends.

Landlord & Tenant Relationship
Responsibilities of Landlord The key “landlord and tenant” relationship remains between the property owner and the former Rent Supplement recipient. The local authority will act as broker or agent on behalf of the tenant.

  1. As such, the landlord will retain responsibility for:
  2. Insurances - property, landlord’s contents and public liability; 
  3. All maintenance/repair and replacement of equipment; and

Dealing with breaches by the tenant of his/her obligations under the Residential Tenancy Agreement should they arise.

Back to Top

How will rent levels be determined?
Rent levels will reflect local market conditions but must show an 8% reduction on current market rents applicable at time of contract signing.

Deposits and Damage to Property
No deposits will be paid under RAS as a contractual arrangement will exist between the landlord and the local authority. However, where damage is caused to property, which is above normal wear and tear, the housing authority may be willing to guarantee the equivalent of up to one month’s rent towards the cost of repair/replacement. This condition will not apply where the landlord is already holding a deposit in respect of the tenant.

How to become involved in the RAS?
Landlords with eligible Social Welfare Allowance (SWA) Rent Supplement tenants will be approached by South Dublin County Council and invited to participate in RAS, subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.

Local Authorities are statutorily obliged to transfer all existing eligible Rent Supplement recipients to RAS. Where their existing landlords do not wish to participate in RAS, the council will further engage with RAS eligible persons to source alternative accommodation suitable for RAS and in accordance with their social housing need.

If you do not currently have a tenant and you are interested in participating in RAS, please contact  or 01-4149358

Related Documents

RAS Information for Tenants
Document type: Guidelines - doc
Fact Sheet
Document type: Guidelines - pdf
Landlord FAQ
Document type: Guidelines - doc
RAS information for landlords
Document type: Guidelines - doc